Rankin Airport 1930-1933

Wikipedia tells us that

John Gilbert “Tex” Rankin (January 20, 1894, Texas – February 23, 1947 Klamath Falls) was an aerobatic pilot, barnstormer, air racer, and flight instructor from the 1920s to the 1940s. Born in Texas on January 20, 1894, Rankin began flying in 1913, when airplanes were still considered a new oddity.

If you search for “Tex Rankin” on Google you will find a lot of biographical and aeronautical information, and a long list of accomplishments, including national championships and world records. The man is a legend. Here is a picture of him, next to a plane with identification number 13 and with a black cat that accompanied him on his flights, tempting fate.

Continue reading

Union Ave and Columbia Blvd in 1916

In 1916 Union Avenue (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) ended at Bryant Street — north of Bryant all the way to the Columbia Slough was the Lewis Love Donation Land Grant, owned by the heirs of Captain Lewis Love. The Vancouver line of the Portland Railway Light & Power Company had a right-of-way over Love land, but there was no paved road of any kind.

Ever since 1894 the good citizens of Piedmont and Woodlawn had asked the city to extend Union Avenue north to the city boundaries at Columbia Slough Road (now Columbia Boulevard). The piece from Prescott to Alberta was done in 1894, and the piece from Alberta to Bryant in 1898. But Lewis Love refused to let the road continue on his land. He died, however, in 1903, and his heirs were more malleable. The piece from Bryant to Columbia, was added between 1916 and 1918. A copy of the report of the city engineer on this last addition can be found at


Continue reading


In 1908 Henry Ford introduced the Model T and made cars affordable. In the years following that epoch-making event, American took to the road in great numbers, to make trips, both for business and pleasure. Boosters in the up and coming cities on the West Coast soon realized that they needed to provide accommodations for these travelling tourists and business people, because if they could keep them in the city or state for some time and give them positive memories, they might come back and buy a house or start a business. The solution that cities came up with initially were municipal automobile camps, basically campgrounds with amenities, in which people slept in their cars or in tents they brought along. These parks were run by the city, in the same way as regular city parks.

Continue reading

The Wrong Smith

Fake news has it that the City in 1909 bought land for Peninsula Park from Elizabeth Smith a.k.a. Liverpool Liz, who ran a racetrack and a saloon there. False. Evergreen Park (1899-1900) was leased from W.K. Smith by Harry Busch, who was financed by $ 6,000 from Lizzie Smith. The good citizens of Piedmont, controlled by the crusading teetotaller Edward Quackenbush, prevented Harry Busch from getting a liquor license. Harry Busch went to jail for pistol-whipping Liz, and Evergreen Park went belly up. The land was subsequently bought by the City from W.K. Smith. I am currently writing up the story with the title “Too Many Smiths” or “Elusive Liz”. The attached picture overwhelmingly shows that William K. Smith, a banker, millionaire, and mill owner, was morally incomparable to Liverpool Liz.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 08.54.14.png

Piedmont, Old and New

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 19.59.26.png

This is a cut out of a 1901 map of all of Portland. The complete map, which has a decent resolution, is at


Our cutout shows the area of modern Piedmont as it was in 1901 (and a piece of Woodlawn and Humboldt). The whole northern part is the Lewis Love Donation Claim, completely undeveloped. It goes from Bryant in the South to the Slough in the North, and from what is now the I-5 in the West to what is now 8th Street in Woodlawn in the East.

The current I-5 is at the East side of the Good Morning Addition, which is the green subdivision on the left. The Good Morning Addition is between Patton Ave (Interstate) and the Freeway, and between Portland Blvd (Rosa Parks) and what is now Buffalo. The freeway runs through North Albina, the pink subdivision in the lower left corner. North Albina is between Killingsworth in the South and Ainsworth in the North, which means it is in modern Humboldt. Its Eastern border is Michigan, its western border Patton (Interstate). We see that the original Piedmont subdivision (which is still the Piedmont area as far as the tax rolls are concerned) is half in modern Piedmont and half in Humboldt. Note that the Western border of Piedmont is the alley between Commercial and Kerby., houses on the West side of Commercial are still in Piedmont, but Kerby is not.

We can now fill in some white space, which was not platted yet in 1901. Between North Albina and Piedmont, in Humboldt, is West Piedmont. The white area between Ainsworth and Portland Blvd (Rosa Parks), from East to West, is Longview (basically a piece of Kerby), Peninsula Park, Gainsborough Addition, and then the freeway.

There are four additional platted areas between Portland Bld (Rosa Parks) and the Love Donation Land Claim. The Lochinvar Addition (pink) starts at what is now Albina and has Congress as its East boundary. Its North boundary is a little bit south of current Dekum. The Gem Addition (yellow) goes from Congress to Vancouver. It starts in the South at Dekum and then ends in the North half way Dekum and Bryant. On the Eastside of Vancouver we have Saratoga (green), which goes from Dekum to Bryant, and from Vancouver to halfway between Cleveland and Rodney. And finally there is Piedmont Park (pink) which goes East to current MLK and Woodlawn, and continues for three lots South of Dekum. In the North its boundary is Woodlawn Street, which now is Bryant.

Note that Union ends at Portland Blvd, although the railway continues North to Vancouver (WA) on the East border of the Lewis Love Donation. In 1898 residents of Piedmont and Woodlawn wanted the City to extend Union Avenue North to the city limits, but Lewis Love refused to have it run over his land. Piedmont also missed an opportunity. In 1902 proposals for sites of the Lewis and Clark Centennial were due. Lewis Love offered (at no charge) 200 acres on the south side of his donation land, with the sole condition that “the fair authorities must clear the land”. Ultimately, the exposition went to Guild’s Lake area on the West Side. Lewis Love died in 1903, and his heirs eagerly got rid of their pieces, thus creating Loveleigh, Lovewood, Love’s Addition, and the Green C Love Addition.